Silk and Foil Business Card Preparation Checklist
Use our interactive checklist below when preparing your unique silk business card designs for printing to help make sure your files are perfect for print when you place your order.
Click the checkboxes to mark items as complete: Tasks Left:
- 1.Files have adequate bleed (3.625"x2.125") and document is exactly the correct dimensions with no extra art or printer marks outside the artwork.
- 2.Check that all text is inside the safety line (inner blue guideline on our template). Download Templates.
- 3.All colors are CMYK, no RBG or Pantone (spot) colors.
- 4.Check that file is correct resolution and colorspace (300dpi and CMYK).
- 5.Review any spot uv and/or foil mask files to ensure they are prepared correctly (solid black C0 M0 Y0 K100 used for where UV/foil goes, rest of file is solid white).
- 6.Remember to use our values for "rich black" if you want the deepest black we offer (C60 M40 Y40 K100).
- 7.Don't use transparencies in your files, or flatten them on export if you do.
- 8.Check that all text was converted to outlines/curves/shapes. In the file menu click the "Type" menu item and select "Create Outlines" (or "Convert to Shape" in Photoshop).
- 9.Export your files as PDFs and have a separate file for the front, back and any spot uv or mask files.
Additional points to keep in mind when designing your business cards for print:
- Be careful with very subtle dark gradients.( ie: A black to a very dark grey) Because CMYK is a subtractive process and printed materials do not look as bright as a lit screen very subtle dark gradients and colors will sometimes appear darker than expected.
- Be careful with very small text - Although we can print this small text nice and crisp, it may be a bit hard for some people to read. We would recommend placing an actual 3.5”x2” business card against your screen and setting the zoom level in your graphics program so that your document is shown at actual size. This can give you a good idea of if your text would be too small or not.
- Designs on your screen are backlit and will appear brighter than a printed product. Take care to consider brightness levels as well as how the use of effects may impact the contrast of your printed silk business cards. Silver foil and spot uv are bold effects and will stand out in comparison to ink in a design.
- Maintain a 30% difference between cyan and magenta for any blue areas to ensure they don't come out more purple than expected. For example (C100 M70 Y0 K0) has a 30% difference between C and M. The magenta value can be lower than 70 if cyan is 100, but it shouldn't be higher than 70.
Last but not least, remember if you ever have a question about preparing your file, or even simply want an opinion on what might look best - send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll help you out!
- What are Silk Business Cards?
- What are Foil Stamped Business Cards?
- Ordering Unique Silk Business Cards - Why Service is so Important
- How to Design Your Silk Business Card for Foil Stamping
- Preparing Your Silk Business Card Designs for Print
- Silk and Foil Business Card Preparation Checklist
- What are Suede Business Cards?
- Suede Business Cards vs Silk Business Cards - Which Finish is Best for You?
- What is Spot UV and Spot Gloss in Printing?
- The Art of Exchanging Business Cards
- Why We Offer a Very Specific Selection of Luxury Business Cards
- How to Printing Custom Packaging Inserts for Your Amazon, Shopify or Ecommerce Business
- What Makes a Luxury Business Card Stand Out from Regular Cards?
- 10 Stunning Black Business Card Designs
- What Differentiates Vermillion Silk from Other Specialty & Luxury Business Card Printers?
- How to Design Elegant Business Cards that Pull Customers Into your Brand’s Story
- Raised Foil and Raised Gloss Business Cards vs Traditional Foil Stamping and Spot UV
- Unique Ideas for What to Put on Your Business Card
- Luxury Business Cards - Ingredients in Great Business Card Design, and Considerations for having your Luxury Business Cards Printed
- How Larger Businesses can Order Luxury Business Cards for their Whole Team
Vermillion Pinterest Gallery